Thursday, July 8, 2010

An Update from the Commuters


It's been a while since we've reported on our commuters. To review, this was the husband and wife who drove a long distance to and from work through the mountains of Colorado, where radio stations rarely penetrate. For some inexplicable reason, the wife began reading Distant Cousin out loud to her husband as they drove. She even managed different voices for different characters, complete with accents. They loved it. Sometimes they even stayed in the car once they'd arrived home just so they could finish a scene.

The husband was kind enough to drop us a line every once in a while to report on how it was going. The first report is here.

Recently, their pace through the books has slowed somewhat, due to their taking separate cars several days a week and to the fact that their business is booming. Still, we've heard from them several times. Here's a sampling of their comments as they finished Distant Cousin: Reincarnation (DC-3):

"We met the lynx last Saturday!"

"We finished DC-3 a couple days ago. [My wife] and I truly enjoyed the ride. I liked the way you pulled [it] together at the end. [She] hit it right on with the [end].

"We start DC-4 today!!"

"I just wanted to take a moment to thank you again for DC-4! [My wife] and I have a lot of fun on the ride home. We ride together about 3 days a week now. We had fajitas last night, inspired by our Ana. [My wife] says: 'Ana is really a good cook; of course her daughter can cook!'"

"We are still in the good times.... I have to say, I admire your philosophy. The message in DC is a lesson in living, in my opinion anyway. Way to go dude!! Your fiction is like sugar coated medicine that we all need, but don't want to take."

"We are going to the (DC-4) world conference...Still! Work gets in the way."

Take your time, we say. It's good that the business is humming along. If you take enough time finishing DC-4, perhaps there'll be DC-5 by then!

No comments: