Sunday, September 20, 2009

Recipe challenge


Readers of Distant Cousin: Reincarnation will remember, especially if they are interested in cooking, a recipe for a variation of meatloaf which was mentioned in chapter 2 only in passing:

“It’s the spices, Mom, thyme and garlic, and some grated parmesan, and an Egyptian grain called kamut. And an extra-dry red wine instead of Worcestershire sauce. I would have added some whole cloves, only I couldn’t find any. It was Darcy’s idea—you know that cookbook she’s working on?”

It's an intriguing recipe, but as far as I know no one has ever tried to create it. I certainly haven't: I've never seen kamut, and I'd have no idea of quantities or other variables. Perhaps quinoa (a Peruvian grain) could be substituted--I have no idea. (If you must know, the recipe was thought up by a wonderfully creative cook, but a vegetarian, who would never fix meatloaf.)

Surely some readers out there are adventurous cooks. If this dish sounds like something you might like, why not give it a try? Mind you, the humble editor of this blog disavows all responsibility for the results--but if it's good, if it's interesting, please let us all know, and include the particulars of your version, please. I mean, how many recipes do you have which come from someone from another planet? You may find people lining up for it!

See lots of other recipe ideas in the column on the right under the photo of the cranberry-apple pie!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Brilliant idea! I was going to try it out anyway - I am always trying new meatloaf recipes! Then I was going to ask you if you would do an Ana Darcy Cookbook LOL, like Patricia Cornwell did for the Scarpetta books!
....thinking of doing Darcy's garlic chicken and that honey/ chili sauce too :-)

Al said...

If ever you get to Distant Cousin: Regeneration (#4), there are at least two more recipe ideas you may find intriguing--one early on, and one at the end. Oh, yeah, and one in the middle: pizza, w. no tomato sauce, but olive oil, potato slices, and rosemary. Not original with Ana, though--traditional Italian.

Danielle said...

Ok, I did it. Copy from my blog

I always make double when I make a meatloaf (one for the freezer) so this makes 2 loaf pans.

It had mixed results - 3 liked it, 1 didn't. Never can please everyone!
I also couldn't get anything like Kamut or any decent grain/ wheat, so I had to stick to breadcrumbs.

Oh, and I forgot the cloves!

What I did:
1.5 lbs beef, 1.5 lbs pork
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 cup red wine (more next time! Great addition)
2 cloves garlic
3/4 tablespoon thyme (less next time! was pretty strong)
1 med onion, chopped
1 cup HP sauce (from UK, like A1 but spicier and thicker)

Al said...

Turns out good ole Amazon has kamut berries: http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Kamut-Berries-lb/dp/B000GRYZP8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1255955603&sr=1-4.

A trusted consultant chef suggests oooking them first, until they're al dente, and then mixing them in with the rest o' the mix. She thinks they'll add a cool, chewy texture.

More after "standard shipping" brings the goodies!